Welcome to Year One
‘With Jesus Beside Us We Do Our Best’
Our teacher is called Miss Mahon and our Nursery Nurse Pauline Nicholls
We are Supported by Caroline Mason.
In Year One, we hope to make learning exciting and educational for all of our children. Good behaviour is very important to us and our
5 ‘Golden Rules’
Be kind to others
Listen to the person speaking
Look after our property
Keep the classroom tidy
Always try our best
Now we are in Year One, we have a very busy day!
Each day we have an English lesson…
· We learn our phonic sounds and the letters of the alphabet
· We read together as a class
· We practice our handwriting
· We have guided reading
· We learn to write
In Year One, our home-school reading books are changed twice each week.
Guided Reading books are also changed twice each week.
Each day we have a maths lesson…
· We solve problems
· We practice writing numbers
· We talk about how we found our answers
· We play maths games
We learn about Jesus and the word of God through our religious education program, provided by Westminster Diocese. We have regular assemblies and attend Mass, in both the school hall and the church.
In the afternoons, we also learn about…
· Design Technology
· Physical Education
AND…we have music lessons with Mr Mathurin!!
Things to Remember
* We take Maths homework weekly. and we have words to learn and practice every week.
* Our PE lessons are on a Wednesday afternoon and we need to have our full school PE kit on this day.
* We need to read to an adult EVERY night we ask parents to sign the yellow reading record daily and to bring our bookbag to school every day.
* We are NOT allowed to bring books, toys or games to school.
* We must have our name written on ALL items of our clothing.
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourites!